Tuesday, April 17, 2012

THREE!

Today, I purchased the last few items for the trip to Honduras, including granola bars for snacks and Pepto-Bismol to treat any "surprise" stomach ailments.  (I'm praying I won't need the latter!)

Daily, I've been reading information about Honduras, and, the more I read--the more concern I feel for the people and the greater my desire to learn how MCC and the Honduran churches are ministering to the human need there.  A question I hope will have some answers by the end of our Learning Tour:  How can I . . . and how can our team's congregations in Kansas and Texas. . . be involved in this work?

Some Honduran facts* related to "3."
-Bananas accounted for roughly 30% of the export value before the country was devastated in 1998 by Hurricane Mitch.  The storm destroyed about 70% of the country's total agricultural production, including many banana and coffee plantations.
-Honduras has 3 railroads.  Two are owned by banana companies!
-The three major ports are on the Caribbean coast.

*From:  Seligson, Mitchell A. "Honduras." Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia. Grolier Online http://gme.grolier.com/article?assetid=014068-0 (accessed April 17, 2012).

Judy Reimer

No comments:

Post a Comment